I will work to improve fiscal responsibility, transparency, accountability and discipline in the budgeting and funding process by:
- Ensuring that the county departments continue to have the necessary and sufficient funding required to provide a high level of service without a political agenda.
- Having a plan for economic downturns by doing scenario planning and identifying " must have" services and staffing needs. Set aside rainy day funds to meet these services during those times.
- Prioritizing projects, services and expenses as part of the budget process, use this as the basis for additions or cuts to the budget
- Assessing the effectiveness of those organizations and non-profits to whom the county gives funding and determine the appropriate level of financial support for those who deliver the most needed and effective services to our citizens
- Performing and publishing cost benefit analysis before approval of new or unbudgeted projects, positions or consolidations
- Improving transparency and accountability. Deliver clear, simple, concise financial updates and presentations in the communities. This needs to include the forecast for the upcoming periods and any issues resolved and coming up and allow for feedback by citizens